Since buying my house I’ve had more than a few run ins with creepy critters. There was a snake in the living room, a mouse in the closet, spiders in my bedroom and what felt like an army of cave crickets in the basement. There’s no magic method to getting rid of all these critters but there are several things you can do to prevent them from coming around.
1. Cave crickets. If you’ve never had a run in with a cave cricket then you’re lucky. These little critters are scary looking and they hop toward you as a defense mechanism. Typically they’re attracted to cool, damp places but they love my warm basement and somehow they keep finding a way upstairs into my living area. I’ve tried two methods (natural and chemical) to get rid of these nasty things. I first grabbed some Diatomaceous Earth and spread it all over my basement. It’s a white talc-powder type of substance and the great thing about it is that it’s safe for people or pets to eat. So your pets will stay safe but the bugs will die once they walk through it. The chemical method I used was Othro Home Defense Max Insect Killer. I have a lot of family and friends that are against using chemicals but if it gets rid of the gross crickets, I don’t care. I spray this around the perimeter of my foundation and then inside the basement every two weeks. I’ve seen a lot less crickets in the basement and none upstairs in my living area.
2. Mice. I only saw one mouse in my house but that was enough to warrant some concern. My mom picked up some mouse traps (the kind where you don’t have to see the dead mouse) and these amazing sonic mice repellers. I didn’t even use the mouse traps and instead relied on the sonic repellers. These wall plug-ins emit a high pitched noise that only mice can hear and it scares them away.
3. Ants. Luckily I haven’t had any run-ins with ants yet but repelling them is a quick fix. The best way to kill them is to mix borax with a sweet substance like honey or peanut butter. The ants will be attracted to the sweet substance and the borax will kill them. This won’t prevent ants from getting into the house but it will kill them once they’re indoors. To prevent them from getting in you should find where they’re coming in and seal up that area.
4. Snakes. To this day I have no idea how a snake got into my house. It was during the mid-construction but it scared me half to death. I think everyone can agree that there is nothing fun about coming home to a snake sliding across the living room. Instead of buying chemicals to fix this problem my dad’s friend recommended spreading cayenne pepper around the outside of the house and the property line. When snakes move they stick out their tongues and the cayenne pepper deters them from the property. I’ve been using it for the last 6 months and haven’t seen a snake since.
5. Spiders. Unfortunately these little guys will pop up anywhere and everywhere but the good news is they hate peppermint. To deter them I fill a spray bottle with water and add a few drops of peppermint oil. I spray this mixture in the corners of my house about once a week and I’ve seen a lot less spiders crawling around.
What are your go-to methods for getting rid of creepy crawlers? Have you ever used any of these methods before? Let me know in the comment section below!
*Feature photo originally posted on Instagram by @halleluhwah.