Saint Patrick’s Day is all about alcohol and cupcakes don’t get more Irish than this. These Guinness infused cupcakes are the perfect post-parade pick-me-up. Check out the recipe below!
- 1 & ¼ cup Guinness
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 & ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 8 – 10 tbl. Guinness*
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line cupcake pan with paper liners. Combine the butter and 1 cup Guinness over medium heat. Add the cocoa powder and whisk until smooth. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. In a separate and larger bowl, whisk the eggs and sour cream together. Add the stout/butter mixture and mix until combined. Make sure the stout/butter mixture is not hot, otherwise it will cook the eggs. Once the batter is ready, whisk in the ¼ cup Guinness for added flavor.
- Fill paper liners until each is ¾ full. Bake until a toothpick or knife comes out clean, 15 to 20 minutes. Let the cupcakes cool slightly before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Beat the cream cheese and butter in a bowl until creamy. Then add the powdered sugar. Mix until combined. Add in the Guinness one tablespoon at a time until the frosting is smooth but not watery. Frost the cooled cupcakes and decorate with sprinkles or food dye.
*For an extra Irish touch, substitute the Guinness in the frosting for 6-8 tablespoons of Baileys Irish Cream.