Sweet and slightly boozy, these cannolis put a new twist on a traditional Sicilian dessert. Check out the recipe below!
- 20 wonton wrappers
- 4 tbl. butter, melted
- 6 tbl. butter, room temperature
- 16 oz mascarpone cheese
- 2 tbl. gold rum
- 3 cups confectioner sugar
- 6 oz. chocolate, melted
- 4 oz. almonds, chopped
1. Heat oven to 375° F. Using a pastry brush, cover each side of the wonton wrappers with melted butter. Wrap them around a cannoli form and place on a bake sheet, seam side up. If you do not have a cannoli form, improvise with foil like I did.
2. Bake at 375 degrees for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown. Remove bake sheet from the oven and slide the cannoli cookies off the forms. Place cookies on a rack to cool.
3. Heat room temperature butter in a small pan until it is brown and nutty in aroma. Remove from heat and strain. Set aside to cool, but keep as a liquid. Stir rum in to the cooled butter.
5. Beat mascarpone and confectioner sugar in a bowl until smooth. Add in the butter/rum mixture and beat until combined. Transfer filling to a pastry bag fitted with preferred tip.
7. Dip the ends of the cannoli cookies into melted chocolate. Then dip the chocolate-covered ends into the chopped almonds. Set aside until the chocolate hardens and sets.
8. Pipe filling into both ends of cookies. Drizzle with remaining chocolate and dust with confectioner sugar. Serve immediately or store in refridgerator.