As a pescetarian, I don’t eat meat, only fish on occasion. After heavily relying on processed fake meat for years, I’m refocusing on simplicity in cooking (i.e. more fruits and veggies). These eggplant balls are the perfect substitute for meatballs and go well with spaghetti squash or pasta. Check out the recipe below!
- 1 medium eggplant, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Combine the eggplant, garlic, onion, salt, pepper and olive oil. Roast on a cookie sheet until the edges are browned, about 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and lower the oven temperature to 350°F.
3. Add the roasted eggplant mixture, Italian seasoning and breadcrumbs to a food processor. Pulse until just combined.
4. Form the mixture into balls, about 1 or 2 inches in size, and place on a large baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes, rotating halfway through.
5. Remove from the oven and serve with sauce and pasta.