More often than not, I find myself with browning bananas on my counter because I never get around to eating them all. Traditional banana bread can be unhealthy but small changes like substituting canola oil with coconut oil and using honey instead of sugar can make a difference. This recipe is easy to double, dairy-free and tastes delicious. Find out how to make it below and let me know what you think in the comments section!
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, melted
- ½ cup honey, plus extra for drizzling on top
- 2 eggs
- 3 large bananas, 2 mashed and 1 sliced
- ¼ cup vanilla almond milk
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon, plus extra for the top
- 1 ¾ cups white whole wheat flour
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a loaf pan with coconut oil.
2. In a large bowl, beat oil and honey together. Add eggs and beat well. Whisk in the mashed bananas and milk.
3. Add baking soda, vanilla, salt and cinnamon. Whisk to blend. Add flour and whisk until just blended.
4. Pour batter into the greased loaf pan and sprinkle with cinnamon. Swirl the cinnamon with a knife.
5. Place the sliced banana on top of the batter and press it down until level with batter. (You can also add the sliced banana throughout the bread by pouring in some batter then adding the banana and covering it with remaining batter). Drizzle honey on top of the banana to preserve it during baking.
6. Bake for approximately 60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let the bread cool before slicing.