These meringue cookies are light, airy and have just the right kick of peppermint.
- 3 egg whites
- 1 and 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
- Dash salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 candy canes, crushed
1. Place the egg whites in a small bowl and let them stand at room temperature for at least 30 minutes. At the same time chill your mixing bowl in the refridgerator.
2.Preheat the oven to 250°F. Add the vanilla, cream of tartar, salt and egg whites to the chilled bowl and beat on medium until foam forms.
3. Gradually add the sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, and beat on high. Continue until all the sugar is added and stiff peaks form.
4. Using a pastry bag or Ziploc bag and an icing tip (I used Wilton #4B) pipe the cookies onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Keep them about 1 inch apart and then sprinkle the crushed candy canes on them.
5. Bake for 40 minutes, turn the oven off and keep the door closed. Leave the meringues in the oven for an additional hour. Then, remove from the oven and allow them to cool completely. Store the meringue cookies in an airtight container at room temperature.