Frosted sugar cookies are one of my favorites and you’ll have a blast cutting these into holiday shapes.
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 and 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. milk
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Beat the vegetable shortening, sugar, milk, eggs and vanilla extract together. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, salt and baking soda. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until dough forms.
2. Sprinkle flour on your work surface and roll the dough out until it is about 1/4-inch thick. Cut into shapes with cookie cutters and place about 1 inch apart on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
3. Bake for about 8 minutes or until the edges start to brown. Cool on a wire rack.
4. For the frosting, beat the butter, sugar, vanilla extract and milk on high until it is fluffy. Frost the cooled cookies and decorate with sprinkles if desired.