Thumbprint cookies are a delicious and classic Christmas cookie and taste best with homemade jam.
- 1 and 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup salted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar, plus extra
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup strawberry jam
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, beat the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add in the egg and vanilla and beat until just incorporated. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until fully mixed.
3. Form 1 inch balls of dough and roll them in sugar. Place them about 1 inch apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper and press a thumb into the center of each ball. Fill each hole with jam.
4. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown. Cool on wire racks and store in a tightly sealed container