Cinnamon rolls for breakfast are the best, but waking up early to cook them isn’t as nice. These slow cooker rolls can be pre-made the night before. Turn the slow cooker on in the morning and a couple hours later, voila!
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 and 1/4 tsp. instant yeast
- 1/4 cup + 1 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp. salted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 2 and 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 Tbsp. salted butter, room temp
- 1 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 and 1/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. milk
1. For the dough, warm the milk over low heat. When it becomes lukewarm pour the milk into the bowl if a stand mixer. Add the yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar. Stir until dissolved. Cover with a towel and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes or until foamy.
2. Beat in salt, butter, egg, 2 cups of flour and the remaining sugar on low speed until combined. Continue to beat on low speed while adding 1/4 cup of flour at a time. A soft dough will form and you can tell it’s ready when it pulls away from the side of the bowl. Add the remaining flour, 1/4 cup at a time, until a soft dough forms. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead for 2 to 3 minutes then let it rest for about 10 minutes.
3. To prepare the filling, roll the dough out into a large rectangle, roughly 14 by 18 inches. Spread the softened butter onto the dough then mix the cinnamon and sugar together and sprinkle it all over. Roll the dough tightly, cut into 8 to 10 even pieces and place in a slow cooker lined with greased parchment paper.
4. Place a piece of paper towel under the lid of the slow cooker to catch condensation. Turn the slow cooker on high and cook for 2 hours. Once done, remove lift the parchment paper to remove the cinnamon rolls.
5. Make the glaze by whisking the confectioners’ sugar, vanilla extract, and milk together until smooth. Drizzle over the warm rolls.
I love making the dough ahead of time so in the morning I can turn the slow cooker on and let it bake. To do this, make the dough through step 3 and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until morning and cook in the slow cooker as directed.